Wednesday, July 27, 2022

On the Bank

Two fishermen on Madras City Beach

Watching me with quizzical expressions as I photographed the action on the beach at Madras that morning were two grizzled fishermen, sitting on the bank above the high-tide line. What they thought about the crazy westerner with a camera I can't imagine. 

For my part, I didn't know why they weren't fishing. They had new-looking nets with them. Perhaps they were waiting for the rest of their crew. None of my business. I just made their photograph, thanked them in a friendly way with the word "Nandri" (right hand in front of my face with fingers up, palm slightly out in the South Indian gesture of casual greeting) and moved on to other scenes in this incredibly photo-rich environment.

(Olympus OM2n camera, 85mm f2 Zuiko lens, Fujichrome 100D film.)

Photographs and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone

My book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia, is now out of print, although copies are apparently still available from Amazon, and possibly other sources. The second edition is now in the editing stage and is scheduled to be released on December 6th.

2 comments:

  1. Nice shot Dave! The story behind the photo is a good one, and the photo looks to be straight out of National Geographic.

    ReplyDelete