Monday, July 4, 2022

Black and White or Color?

 
Cove Methodist Church, December 26, 2010 
 

I hope neither of my readers gets tired of me mentioning McLemore Cove so often. What can I say? It’s a beautiful place, I lived there for more than 30 years, and made lots of photographs (but not enough) there. Besides, as it says in the column to your left, this blog is about photography, about life, and about my life in photography. The Cove is both part of my life and my photography.

However, this post is not actually about the Cove, but about Cove Methodist Church, which technically, is not in the Cove. It is two miles north of Georgia Highway 136, which defines the northern limit of the McLemore Cove Historic District. The people who founded the church on Cove Road south of the town of Chickamauga back in 1872 didn’t know that, though. To them it was in the Cove, or close enough. So Cove Methodist Church it became.

Cove Methodist ceased being a functioning church many years ago, but has been kept alive largely through the efforts of the Fine family. A revival service is held every fall, and a standing-room-only Christmas service in December. The church is also a lovely and popular venue for weddings. 

Since I passed by the church frequently, often several times a week for many years, I was able to photograph Cove Methodist Church in all seasons and under all weather conditions. (Although I don’t think I ever photographed it in the rain.)

Now back to our topic: Close your eyes and tell me: is the picture on your screen in color, or black and white?

The photo was made with a Canon EOS 5D Classic fitted with the Canon EF 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 lens, which pretty much stayed glued to the camera in those days.

Hope you don't mind a little snow on your Fourth of July.

Photograph and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

My book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia, is now out of print, although copies are apparently still available from Amazon, and possibly other sources. The second edition is now in the editing stage and is scheduled to be released on December 6th.

 

7 comments:

  1. Color. If it weren't for the steps, I would be less sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The steps have it. But when I looked at the photo as I was going through my files to find a picture to write about, I at first thought it was black and white. Thanks for commenting, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I keyed in on the steps right away, Dave. 'Course I had the advantage of looking at a slight enlargement on the screen instead of the actual negative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always a good shot no matter the weather I tried to get Elizabeth Lee’s windows and history in Georgia Backroads they weren’t interested at the time I’m sure they have lots of offers daily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who are you, Anonymous? I probably know you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roy Gadd …. Forgot to put my name on it and it’s color LOL

      Delete
  6. Hey, Roy! Glad to see you here. I write for Georgia Backroads, but it's been several years since we did the windows, so they may consider it old news. I can pitch the idea to them.

    ReplyDelete