Friday, September 2, 2022

Silent Witness

Sumter Merchandise, U.S. Highway 19, Sumter County, Georgia
 
 Just an old, long-abandoned store, one of thousands still standing in varying states of disrepair along Georgia's backroads. Why do I care? I'm not sure I could answer that, even after photographing old and abandoned structures for 50 years. Yet, there's a kind of dignity about old buildings that appeals to me. They bear silent witness of stories that will never be told, of lives lived and long gone; obscure in life and in death.
 
The photo is from my limited-edition book Georgia: A Backroads Portrait. It was made on June 9, 2010, using a Canon 5D Classic camera with a Canon EF 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 lens.

Photograph and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone

My book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia, is now out of print, although copies are apparently still available from Amazon, and possibly other sources. The second edition is now in the editing stage and is scheduled to be released on December 6th.

No comments:

Post a Comment