Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Dragons in the Backyard and Other Private Property Issues

How many people keep dragons in their backyard?

I was not in the yard, by the way -- I was across the road and

shot with the 70-200mm f4L lens at the 200mm setting on my

Canon 5D Classic digital camera. Clarksville, Georgia

 

Dave Hileman's second question was "Where do you take the photo? If it is private property, as most are, do you take a few steps to try and get a good composition or stay at the edge of the road. Or, walk up to the house, for example, chat with the folks and ask permission to shoot. I am sure it varies but what is the best way in general to accomplish your goal, a fine photo and Louise’s goal that you not get shot or arrested? (If you missed Dave's first question, check out Monday's post.)

When making photos of someone's property, I usually follow the Grace principle: it's easier to get forgiveness than permission! Having said that, though, I always seek to avoid being intrusive. So I if actually see someone I will ask. If I can get the photo I want without going on the property, then fine. If I need to get a few steps closer, I do so, or maybe use a longer lens, as I did in the photo above. If I have to get even closer, I ask myself if the photo is worth a confrontation. If someone asks me what I'm doing, I give them my card and explain that I write magazine articles and books. I compliment them on their interesting/beautiful/historic property and get them talking about it. So far, that approach has worked. I've been to 34 or 35 countries and around much of the US and haven't had any difficulty so far. However, as one photojournalist put it, "Never carry more equipment than you can run with!"

If I had tried to get permission to make many of the photographs for Rock City Barns: A Passing Era, the book would not exist. I would still be at county courthouses trying to track down owners. Rock City had information about some of them, but most of their records were years out of date. 

Many of the barns were isolated, with no houses nearby and no way to find information. If there was a house nearby I knocked on the door and if someone was home I introduced myself and explained what I was doing. Met some interesting people that way, and everyone was cooperative and helpful. If no one was around I just made my photographs and left. As the Sierra Club motto has it, "Take only photographs. Leave only footprints."

Photograph and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone

My book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia, is now out of print, although copies are apparently still available from Amazon, and possibly other sources. The second edition is now in the editing stage and is scheduled to be released on December 6th.

No comments:

Post a Comment