Wednesday, September 28, 2022

The Old Hicks House

The Old Hicks House, McLemore Cove

This house was on the property we bought in northwest Georgia's McLemore Cove in 1985. The property was known as "the Old Hicks Place," after a family that lived there for many years. They were not the original owners, though. The Cove, began to be settled by white people in 1832 after a treaty (probably very unfair) was made with the Cherokees. My best estimate is that the house was built sometime before 1850.

It was in much better shape when we bought it and we gave some thought to restoring it. However, we felt it would cost a fortune to restore and that our (limited) money would be better used to build a new house. 

The old house deteriorated over the years and we finally had it pulled down around 2016, leaving only the chimney standing as a memorial to history.

I'm not sure exactly when this photo was made -- the film cameras I used didn't record dates in the metadata as digital cameras do -- so I don't know if the camera was an Olympus or Canon. I used Olympus until about 1993, and Canon after that. My best guess is that it was made in the late '80s with an Olympus OM camera and Fuji slide film.

Photograph and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone

My book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia, is now out of print, although copies are apparently still available from Amazon, and possibly other sources. The second edition is now in the editing stage and is scheduled to be released in December.

 

2 comments:

  1. Dave, lovely photo. The old house looks lonely. I love the older homes architecture especially the brick ones, but every time I consider one the cost and labor involved scares me to death. I always think of the Tom Hanks movie the Money Pit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hated to see this one go, because of its history, but we didn't feel it was worth the cost to restore. We did, however, remove the tongue-and-groove poplar interior wall boards and the old ceiling boards and store them in the barn.

    ReplyDelete