Monday, December 19, 2022

More about Mail Pouch Tobacco Barns

                                          A well-preserved Mail Pouch barn in southeastern Ohio.

Mail Pouch Tobacco barns are not well-known in the South, but in the Midwest they were a pretty big thing. At its peak in the 1960s there were 20,000 barns bearing the Mail Pouch Tobacco sign in 22 states. 

The barns even have fan clubs. In 2003 I attended a meeting of a group known as the Mail Pouch Barn Association, which has, or at least did have, an annual get-together in barn painter Harley Warricks home town in Southeastern Ohio. Naturally, I photographed Mail Pouch barns coming and going, two of which are in this post. There's also a group called Mail Pouch Barnstormers, which has its own Facebook page.

I hoped at one time to do a book about Mail Pouch barns, similar to my Rock City Barns book, but couldn't find a publisher who was interested.

                          The southernmost Mail Pouch barn I've found was on U.S. 25 in southern Kentucky.

Both these photos were made in July, 2003 with a Canon 10D, my first digital camera.

If you enjoy my photographs, you can see more of them in my online gallery at https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and, who knows? You might find something you want to keep.

The second edition of my book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia will be released in June, 2023. 

Photograph and text copyright 2022 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment