Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Another "Lost" Rock City Barn

                                         Rock City Barn KY-47. U.S. 31-W in Warren County, Kentucky. 

It's been a while since I've featured a Rock City barn on this blog. This is one that hasn't been shown before. I call it a "lost" barn because it had been lost from Rock City's records. I've found more than 50 such barns; some because people told me about them, and some because I went looking for them along the old roads.

Returning from a trip to Indiana to visit family in July 1997, I was traveling a section of old U.S.Highway 31W that I hadn't been on since the Rock City Barn project began. Actually, I had traveled the old north-south routes such as U.S. 31E, 31W, 41, and 41A many times, but that was before the interstates and before I became interested in Rock City barns as anything other than occasionally-sighted curios.

On this particular day I was staying off Interstate 65 as much as possible and following U.S. 31W when I sighted this barn on my left as I was driving southbound near milepost 25, about 10 miles north of Bowling Green. 

I was using a Canon EOS A2 camera with the Canon EF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 lens. The film was Fujichrome 100, which partly accounts for the lush green of the grass.

This is one of about 50-55 barns which will be in my Lost Barns of Rock City book, if I can ever get my act together and get it published! 

Check out my prints at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and, who knows? You might find something you like.

The second edition of my book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia will be released in June, 2023. 

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

2 comments:

  1. I had a Canon A2e for a while. It was terrific. I didn't take to the other EOS cameras I tried but the A2e resonated with me instantly.

    US 31W here was also the Dixie Highway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked my Canon A2s. Used them for eight years until switching to digital. Still have one of them.

    ReplyDelete