Monday, May 8, 2023

Found, but Never Lost

Rock City Barn TN-106. A section of the roof is being repaired.

 Among the Rock City barns I plan to include in my proposed book Lost Barns of Rock City are some that I found, but were never actually lost -- they were never on Rock City's list because because Rock City didn't paint them.

Someone, unfortunately I don't remember who, told me about this barn on Tennessee Highway 78 in Robertson County just south of the Kentucky state line. It may have been David Pepper, the owner-painter himself who contacted me, but I can't find any record of it, and any notes I may have made would have been in the (sadly lost) travel notebook #3 I was using at the time.

I met many interesting characters in my travels for the Rock City Barns book and other ventures, But David Pepper ranks among the most interesting. Tirelessly energetic, he had made his farm into a showplace by collecting old vehicles and erecting a cluster of small buildings that emulated a village of years ago. 

At the time I photographed his farm he had repaired a section of his barn roof, which had blown off in a windstorm, but had not yet got around to repainting it.

Some of David Pepper's reindeer.

He also had, believe or not, a small herd of reindeer that he rented out for Christmas parades and other such festivities.

(The photo at the top was made with a Canon EOS 5D Classic fitted with a Canon EF 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 lens. The bottom photo was made with an Olympus PEN E-PL1, my first mirrorless digital camera, and an Olympus Zuiko 14-42mm f3.5-4.5 lens) 

Check out my prints at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and, who knows? You might find something you like.

The second edition of my book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia will be released in June, 2023. 

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment