Friday, May 5, 2023

Hiding in Plain Sight: Another "Lost" Rock City Barn

Rock City Barn RCB-AL-37

 

From the little Lookout Mountain resort town of Mentone in DeKalb County, Alabama, Highway 117 winds its way down the mountain, through the lovely village of Valley Head, and on to Hammondsville. Located about halfway between the two communities, this barn once bore a "See Rock City" sign but has been hiding under Sequoyah Caverns paint for many years. 

Clark Byers, the original, and for 33 years the only, Rock City barn painter, was also the developer of Sequoyah Caverns, a tourist attraction in the northeast corner of the state. Some other Rock City barns in the area were also repainted with the Sequoyah Caverns sign to draw in travelers from U.S. 11 and other highways in the area.

My notes (and memory) are kinda fuzzy on this one. I record just about everything I photograph in a notebook, but unfortunately, the notebook from that time period has been lost. All I can say for sure is that it was before 2003, when I changed to digital photography (which has the great advantage of recording the date of every photograph). I believe this picture  was made with a Canon EOS A2 camera, because that's what I used from 1995 to 2003. The lens was most likely the Canon EF 28-105 f3.5-4.5, and the film was almost certainly Fujichrome 100, scanned with my Minolta DiMage 5400 scanner.

Check out my prints at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and, who knows? You might find something you like.

The second edition of my book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia will be released in June, 2023. 

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment