Wednesday, July 19, 2023

A Wedding in the Rain

  Bowen and Ashley. May 8, 2010
 

It was hot and muggy on May 8, 2010, as only south Georgia can be hot and muggy, even in the spring. The overhanging clouds threatened any second to dump their load. I was at Valdosta, and I was there to help photograph a wedding.

As a member of a "second-shooters" (freelance assistant photographers) group on Facebook, I had contacted a photographer from Atlanta who had posted a request for a second-shooter to help cover a large wedding at a venue near Valdosta. It was a chance to pick up a little cash while doing something I enjoy, so I adjusted my plans for a photo-trip around the perimeter of Georgia to put me in Valdosta on the big day. 

The minister was under a large tree, probably a live oak, as the wedding guests took their places in lawn chairs and the bridesmaids began their procession. I was behind the minster and to one side, against the tree, photographing each bridesmaid, and finally, the bride, as she entered on the arm of her father. Seconds after she clasped hands with her groom, the skies dropped their load.

The father of the bride holds my umbrella over the happy couple.

 Fortunately, I had my handy-dandy golf umbrella beside me. I quickly unfurled it and passed it to the father of the bride, who held it over the happy couple as they repeated their vows. A wedding day I'm sure they'll never forget!

I was up against the tree and somewhat sheltered, so I kept on making picture after picture.

After a bit the rain stopped and everyone had fun at the reception. But it was still hot and muggy, as only south Georgia can be hot and muggy. Fortunately, this was the one night on my trip that I, as mentioned in my previous blog post, stayed in a motel and not in my car.

(Canon EOS 5D Classic and 70-200 f4L Canon lens.)

The second edition of Backroads and Byways of Georgia is almost ready to ship. Watch this space for ordering instructions.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

 

2 comments:

  1. Dave well done! As a seasoned veteran, you have shown courage under fire. You sir deserve a medal for saving the day. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Greg. I'll just take the cash.

    ReplyDelete