Monday, July 31, 2023

My Final Commercial Photography Gig?

WMBW Radio Chattanooga Morning Show personalities Tom and Tabi.

Last Wednesday I loaded my location photography equipment -- lights, stands, tripod, and cameras -- in my truck, and drove to Chattanooga for what may be my last commercial photography assignment. It was staff portraits for Radio Station WMBW, the local Moody Radio network affiliate. WMBW has been a client for at least 35 years. 

I say it may be my last gig, but who knows for sure? I said the same thing two and a half years ago after doing staff portraits for the same client before embarking on more than two years of RV living and travel. I'm no longer actively seeking commercial photography work, but I still enjoy doing it. So if someone asks me, I'm not going to turn down the opportunity. Granted, there aren't many 86-year-old commercial photographers around, but if I'm able to do the work, if I enjoy doing it, and if there's no good reason not to do it, then I'm going to do it.

One of my heroes is Julius Schulman, probably the greatest architectural photographer ever. He retired in his 80s, got bored after a while, and went back to work until his death at age 99, getting around with a walker and an assistant to carry his camera and tripod. 

Another of my heroes is the Biblical Caleb, the contemporary of Joshua. As the Israelites were occupying the land of Canaan, Caleb went to Joshua and said (paraphrasing) "I'm 85 years old. My eyes are still good and I'm as strong as ever. So give me this mountain and I'll drive out the giants."  

I'm not looking for giants to kill, but I do want to stay open to any opportunities that may come along. Who knows?

(Fuji X-T20 camera, Fujicron XC16-50mm f3.5-5.6 lens. Photogenic and Neewer studio flash units.)

Signed copies of the second edition of Backroads and Byways of Georgia are now available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com. Or, you can mail a check to me at 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags: WMBW Moody Radio    commercial photography   photography   Fuji cameras    Photogenic    Neewer    Julius Schulman

No comments:

Post a Comment