Monday, July 17, 2023

Flower Bed

Dewey White's flower bed.

During the first decade of this century I rambled around much of north Georgia and made some pictures I was happy with. Also, there was one trip to south Georgia along old U.S. Highway 41 in 2006 with my friend the distinguished graphic artist and abstract photographer Michael Largent, that resulted in a number of good photographs. Or at least, photographs that I liked.

In 2010 I sold second-usage rights for some photos I had made for an architectural firm to the contractor who had built the buildings and received a nice check. By this time my ideas for a book about Georgia backroads were taking shape in my mind. (A different book -- not Backroads and Byways of Georgia.)  I decided to use the money to drive all around the perimeter of the state, photographing whatever caught my eye and interest.

I laid down the rear seats of my old reliable 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan, threw in an air mattress, sleeping bag, and some clothes and hit the road. I slept in the car every night but one, usually in Walmart parking lots or truck stops, and was very comfortable. With no TV to watch, I was asleep early and awake with the sunrise.

I drove down the east side of the state, along the coast, and then, at Midway, picked up U.S. 84 inland to Waycross. Staying on 84, I went through Valdosta and Thomasville. When I reached Decatur County in the southwestern corner of the state it was obvious I couldn't go much further west in Georgia. So I turned north on Georgia 262, which ran along the east side of the county. Before long, I found an old white metal bed frame above a wood-framed planter beside the road.

I turned into the adjacent driveway, got out, and made a photo. In a few minutes the owner of the property showed up. He introduced himself as Dewey White, and of course, wanted to know what I was doing. An interesting man with a quirky sense of humor, he was a retiree. With some pride, he showed me his well-equipped wood-working shop where, among other things, he made wooden cutout figures. We talked a bit, he showed me some of his work, and I made his photograph. Then it was time to move on to the next interesting sight along Georgia's backroads.

Life is full of unusual and interesting things if you keep your eyes and mind open. 

Dewey White and some of his woodwork.

 (The photograph of the flower bed was made with a Canon EOS 5D Classic, the portrait of Dewey with a Canon EOS 20D)

The second edition of Backroads and Byways of Georgia is almost ready to ship. Watch this space for ordering instructions.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment