Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Around Georgia with a Camera

Chaise Lounge

U.S. 129, Irwin County

 

Sorry this post is a day late. Like I said, sometimes life gets in the way.

In 2004 I begin taking occasional day-trips around north Georgia, looking for whatever interesting things I could find to photograph. In 2010 I took some of the money I earned from an architectural job and spent a week driving around the perimeter of Georgia to see if I could find enough interesting photos to complete the book I had in mind.

Accordingly, on May 5th I laid down the back seats of my 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan, put in an air mattress, a sleeping bag, and some clothes, and set out on my quest.

Since I had already covered north Georgia pretty thoroughly, I headed to the east central part of the state looking for whatever I could find.

Please keep in mind what I've said several times on this blog, that the most important ability in photography is the ability to notice things. Unfortunately, I'm kinda slow, so the way this process works for me is that I see something, go on down the road for a half-mile or so while the thought slowly penetrates my brain, "Hey, that might make a good photo!" and then search for a place to turn around, or, if the road is deserted, a wide spot where I can make a U-turn.

Satellite Dish

Georgia Highway 22, Taliferro County

 

 I worked my way down the east side of Georgia, then across the bottom of the state, then up the west side about as far as Butler, which is west of Macon. At that point I had used up my allotted time for the trip and went home. A few weeks later I made a three-day trip down the west side of the state as far as Warm Springs to complete the circuit.

Crazy Spider

Georgia Highway 193, Walker County

 

 So how was it, as a then-72-year-old man, sleeping in my van for a week? Actually, it was fine. I mostly slept in WalMart parking lots, although I slept one night at a truck stop. That was kinda noisy. Otherwise, I was very comfortable and slept well. I brought with me a small, battery-powered fan, in case the nights were hot, but only used it one time.

All the photographs in this post were made with the original Canon EOS 5D (a great camera -- I used it for eight years) and various Canon lenses. I also carried  a Canon EOS 20D as backup, but didn't use it much. 

To be continued. . .

Photographs and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday each week unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

 

No comments:

Post a Comment