Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Birthing a Book

Chicken Farmer Danny Gandy

"This is not a fighting cock" 

US Hwy 41, Cook County

Continued from previous post. . .

Over the next year or two I made a few day-trips to round out my coverage as the book began to take shape in my mind. I narrowed down the selection of photographs, wrote an introduction, a number of brief essays to go with some of the pictures, and asked my son Rob, a really fine writer, to write a foreword.

Then I loaded everything on a flash drive and took it to my long-time friend Michael Largent, who knows everything there is to know about design. It was amazing to watch him as he sequenced the pictures and put them all in order with the text and the captions -- all in one day!

Your Yard Sale Place

GA Hwy 32, Bacon County

 

We sent it off to Blurb.com, an online printer, and a few weeks later I had in my hands a beautiful, 12 by 12-inch, 144-page book. You can see it for yourself at https://www.blurb.com/books/4973943-georgia-a-backroads-portrait.

All the photographs in this post and the previous one are in the book, along with nearly 130 more. If you would like to have a copy, contact me at djphoto@vol.com or send a text message to 423-240-2324.

Disclaimer: I must tell you that since the book is a limited edition and I only have a few printed at a time, it is not cheap.

I will probably never sell enough to recover what I've already invested, but I wanted to create a visual ode to Georgia, the state where I lived for 44 years.

Photographs and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday each week unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

No comments:

Post a Comment