Monday, February 7, 2022

Photographic Composition 101 Part II: More about Framing

Sunrise on Tybee Island

Sometimes you can put the subject quite literally in a frame, as in this photograph of a sunrise on the beach at Tybee Island, Georgia, as seen through an old anchor just above the beach. Unfortunately, I don't remember what camera I used to make this picture, but it was probably an Olympus OM2n. The film was almost certainly Fujichrome 100, since that has been my film of choice since around 1986.

The Warm Springs Hotel, Warm Springs, Georgia

The frieze and column of a shop across the street form a frame for the old Warm Springs Hotel Bread and Breakfast, taken on my return trip to west Georgia in 2010 to complete my tour around the state. This photograph was made with one of my very favorite cameras -- a classic Minolta Autocord twin-lens reflex,  using Fujicrome 100 film in 2-14 X 2-1/4 size. I should use this camera more often! The two photos above are from my limited-edition book Georgia: A Backroads Portrait.

City Hall, Barnesville, Georgia

Surely the funkiest city hall in the entire United States!

 

Framing adds depth to a picture by drawing the eye to the main subject. Sometimes however, there are subjects that are so distinctive they can stand on their own. The unique City Hall in Barnesville, Georgia is what is, as it is, and needs nothing but a straight-on presentation. This photograph could not be improved by anything I could do to enhance it, whether by choosing a different angle or looking for something in the foreground to frame it. I love the way the street lamp reflects the curve of the arched windows. I used a Canon EOS 6D digital camera for this photo, with an EF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 lens.

 Photographs and text copyright 1992-2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday each week unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment