Monday, May 30, 2022

Tennessee Rust

Rusting away in Southeast Tennessee
 

I noticed this scene one fall day in the late 1990s while driving between Cleveland and Georgetown along Tennessee Highway 30. I've always thought of the photo as "Tennessee Rust."

As I wrote in reply to Greg, who commented on my post "Abandoned" (May 24th), I find quite a few abandoned homes in the countryside, where the residents most likely have died or gone to a senior care facility, with no one to take over the place, or perhaps no one who cares to. Some of these properties may be tied up in legal complications, so they just sit until they fall down.

I made the photograph with a Pentax 6x7 camera and the 105mm f2.4 standard lens and, as always, Fujichrome 100 transparency film. (If the film is 35mm, it's a "slide." If a larger format camera is used, it's a "transparency."

As I've mentioned a few times before in this blog, I believe the Pentax 6x7 gave me the highest percentage of "keepers" of any camera I've ever used. Of course, one reason for that could be that the Pentax, with its 2-1/4 X 2-3/4 format gave only ten exposures per roll of film. That definitely reduced the temptation to overshoot! Most likely I would have made only two exposures of this scene -- one as indicated by the meter, and one a half-stop under. If I had been shooting digitally, I probably would have fired off a dozen.

Even so, I find that I shoot much less than most digital photographers. My 35 years of working with film have deeply ingrained within me a conservative shooting style. 

Photograph and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

My most recent book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia, is a 304-page soft-cover with more than 200 color photographs. Published by Countryman Press, it is priced at $22.95. Signed and inscribed copies are available directly from me at (423) 240-2324 or djphoto@vol.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment