Monday, November 7, 2022

Mother Love

 "Mother" and baby, for Women's East Pavilion

In the early 1990s, two of the major hospital in Chattanooga, Erlanger and Memorial, launched a joint venture: a new women's hospital to be named Women's East Pavilion. Ria Fisher, a creative director with whom I worked on many projects over the years, had the job of creating brochures, mailing pieces, wall art, and everything else needed to publicize the start-up. 

All the work was done over a period of several weeks in my studio at 730 Cherry Street in Chattanooga (a great space -- I still miss it!) We used non-professional models, mostly people I knew from church and other connections, and set up various scenes. In this photo a "mother" and baby (no actual relation to each other) were posed as if in a hospital. A space between two panels with a light playing on the wall behind them was used to simulate a window.

My workhorse studio camera, the Mamiya RB67 with a 127mm f4.5 Mamiya-Sekor lens was on a sturdy tripod and loaded, as always, with Fujichrome transparency film. We worked with the "mother" and baby until we got a number of good shots. This was one of my favorites. In addition to being used in an elaborate brochure and other publicity, it was made into a large framed print, about three by four feet, if I remember correctly, which hung in the hospital for years.

This was the first project Ria and I did together. We both received "Addy" awards from the Chattanooga Advertising Federation for our work. 

(The models, by the way, though "non-professional," were paid for their participation.)

The web site is live! Many of my photographs are now available for order at very reasonable prices for yourself or for gifts. https://davejenkins.pixels.com/

Photograph and text copyright 2022 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone

No comments:

Post a Comment