Friday, November 4, 2022

Story Time

Young family on an Aslan carpet

Working as a commercial photographer in the Chattanooga-Northwest Georgia area, I got requests from time to time to photograph advertisements for carpets. I especially enjoyed them because they challenged my  my lighting skills. This particular one, as best I remember, was in the early 1990s and was for Aslan Carpets, which I think was based in Dalton. The assignment came to me, as often, through Michael Largent.

The models were not actually a family, but were non-related "real people" models recruited by Michael. The lighting was fairly straight-forward: two electronic flashes in umbrella reflectors. One was behind the models and to the right -- you can see the highlight on the right side (from camera position) of the man's face. The other was in front and slightly to the right of the models. Both lights were positioned to bring out the texture of the carpet.

I ran through two, ten-exposure rolls of Fuji film in my Pentax 6x7 medium-format camera. In most of the photos the little "family" was looking at the story-book. However, in one shot, the "mother" looked up at the "father" and the little girl looked up at the "mother," and that, of course, is the photograph that was chosen for the ad. 

Just another interesting day in the life of a commercial photographer.

Blog note: Very soon I will be posting a link to a web site where many of my pictures will be available for order at very reasonable prices for yourself or for gifts. Watch this space.

Photograph and text copyright 2022 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone

2 comments:

  1. Nice photo Dave, I may have seen that ad. As an available light photographer I find the information on lighting very interesting, and maybe a little intimidating.
    Thank you for sharing your skills, I like learning from people who have "been there and done that" .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Greg. Learning to use light is a lifetime process. I'm still learning. "The difficult I can do immediately; the impossible takes a little longer." 8o)

    ReplyDelete