Friday, January 5, 2024

Historic Buildings in Talbotton, Georgia

The 1832 Warner-Simpson-Jordan House, Talbotton, Georgia

Talbotton is an interesting small city in west central Georgia, about 85 miles from Macon via U.S. Highway 80. It's interesting to me, at least, because of the number of well-preserved historic houses and churches, including the Greek Revival Talbotton United Methodist Church, built in 1857, and the 1848 Zion Episcopal Church, a Tudor-Gothic structure which would look right at home in an English village.

The rare Pilcher pipe organ, installed in 1850, is the oldest one still working in the United States. A $257,000 project to restore the exterior of the church was completed in November, 2020. Worship services are held quarterly.

The Warner-Simpson-Jordon House, at 126 Monroe Street, is one of many great old houses in Talbotton. A Plantation Plain-style house built in 1832 by Judge Hiram Warner, a Justice of the Georgia Supreme Court, it was his home and law office. During the Civil War the house was raided by Yankee soldiers. Warner, who was a prominent Rebel leader, resisted, and was sentenced to hang. The Yankees hung him from a tree in his own yard and left him for dead, but he was cut down by a family slave, revived, and lived 16 more years.

The house is obviously well preserved and maintained. I wish I had removed the modern folding chair on the porch, but I am reluctant to go on private property. I usually just take my pictures and move on. As the saying goes, "Take only pictures, leave only footprints."

(Photo: Canon EOS 6D, probably the Canon EF 24-85 f3.5-4.5 lens.)

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2024 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography    travel     Talbotton     Georgia     Zion Episcopal Church     Canon EOS 6D digital camera     Canoon EF 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 lens

No comments:

Post a Comment