Monday, January 29, 2024

Remembering Life on Deer Run Farm

Deer in our backyard. Deer Run Farm, McLemore Cove, January 20, 2018.

It has been three years and two weeks since Louise and I said goodbye to Deer Run Farm. We are busy and active in our new life in Knoxville, but we often remember with fondness the thirty-three years we spent on our little farm in northwest Georgia's McLemore Cove. We named it Deer Run Farm because the deer ran through it every day. (The name was Louise's choice -- I wanted to name the place "Paradise Hill Farm. I guess you know who won.) But it was a good choice.

We don't spend much time on nostalgia, because even nostalgia is not what used to be. But we had a great life there. We were sorry to see it end, but everything has its time. We needed to move on to a new chapter while we were still able. Our two years of full-time RV living were great also, but again, it was time to move on. Now we're enjoying life in our new home in Knoxville, and I guess we'll stay here a while.

What do we miss about the farm? Well, the deer, of course. But I guess what I miss most is the cattle. They left in 2013 and the farm was never quite as much fun after that. I miss our two great dogs, Honey and Rusty, who both died in 2014. I miss the wonderful house we built, and I miss cutting and splitting wood to keep the fireplace going all winter. I miss mowing the pastures with a bush-hog, and in general I miss the openness and freedom of life in the country.

It was a great life, and we feel thankful and privileged to have lived it. But we are also thankful to be where we are now and look forward to whatever God has in store for us.

(Photo: Fuji X-T20 camera, Fujicron 50-230mm telephoto zoom lens.)

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $4.50 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2024 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography     northwest Georgia     McLemore Cove     Fuji X-T20 camera     Fujicron 50-230 lens

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Dave, for similar memories and such a great way of looking at our lives....fleta :>)

    ReplyDelete