Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Georgia Small Towns: Crawfordville

The single-turret Taliaferro County courthouse. Funky High Victorian Eclectic style.

Crawfordville is an unique little east central Georgia town. With a population of about 530, it's the county seat of Taliaferro (pronounced "Tolliver"—don't ask me why) County. With 1462 residents in 2020, Taliaferro is the least populous county in Georgia and has the second smallest population east of the Mississippi River. In fact, I've always wondered if the county was only able to afford one turret for its courthouse.

Nonetheless, Crawfordville and Taliaferro County are well-known in the film industry and are very popular locations for movie-making. Thirteen movies, including Get Low (2009), Pushing up Daisies (2007), Sweet Home Alabama (2001), Neon Bible (1994), Stars and Bars (1987), GORP (1979), and Summer of my German Soldier (1978), have been filmed in whole or in part in Crawfordville. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that Crawfordville’s downtown has hardly changed since the early 1900s, making it a perfect movie set. 

 Crawfordville's one-block-long business district looks as it did in the early 1900s.

 A. H. Stephens State Park borders Crawfordville on the north. We camped there for two weeks in the summer of 2021 and enjoyed eating at Nicky's restaurant in the business block.

The park offers facilities for camping, boating, hiking, and picnicking on its 1177 acres; however, it may be best known for its 21 miles of horseback riding trails and facilities for horsecamping.

Near the park entrance is Liberty Hall. Built in 1875, it was the home of Confederate Vice-President and Georgia governor Alexander Hamilton Stephens. It has been fully restored and houses one of Georgia's largest collections of Civil War artifacts.

Not Crawfordville Presbyterian Church?
 
I've always thought this was the Crawfordville Presbyterian Church, but apparently I was mistaken. I made the photo on film sometime in the 1990s, but my travel notebook from that period was lost several years ago. It's loss is often a serious handicap. I'm pretty sure this church is in Crawfordville, but it is not the Presbyterian church according to the pictures I've found online. Any readers from Crawfordville who can help me out?
 
Photos: The courthouse and street scene were photographed with a Canon EOS 5D Classic and the Canon EF 24-85mm lens. The church was photographed on film, but since my notebook was lost, I don't know which camera was used.

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $4.50 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2024 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography      travel      Canon EOS 5D Classic      Georgia      Crawfordville       Taliferro County     A.H. Stephens State Park     Canon EF 24-85mm lens

No comments:

Post a Comment