Friday, June 14, 2024

Just Ramblin'

 Abandoned store/gas station. Probably U.S. Highway 19 north of Dahlonega.

 From about 2004 to 2010 I did a lot of rambling around the northeast Georgia mountains. Even though I lived in northwest Georgia, northeast Georgia seemed richer to me in the things I liked to photograph

I didn't have any set purpose in mind, but as I made these photographs, ideas for the book that ultimately became Georgia: A Backroads Portrait began to take shape in my mind. And although I have not yet found a publisher for the book, I firmly believe it is my best work. I am a visual historian of mid-twentieth roadside culture and a recorder of the interface between man and nature; a keeper of vanishing ways of life.

 Batesville General Store. GA Highways 197/255, Habersham County.

Although neither of these pictures made it into the book, many of the others that I took on these northeast Georgia trips did. But as I put the book together, with the help of my friend Michael Largent, the distinguished graph designer and design teacher, I was suprised to find that at least as many of the selected photographs came from my own northwest Georgia as from northeast Georgia. Go figure.

Both of these photos were made with the underrated but very good eight megapixel Canon EOS 20D.

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $4.50 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2024 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography      travel      Canon EOS 20D      Northwest Georgia mountains      Northeast Georgia  mountains      Habersham County     Dahlonega     Georgia

2 comments:

  1. Just discovered your blog recently and wanted to let you know how very
    much I am enjoying it. You've got some great photos! I'm now in the
    process of working my way back thru all of your posts. Enjoy your comments
    on life and tips for better photos are always appreciated. Keep the posts
    coming ! Thanks for your time and effort you put into this. James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for your comment, James. As I told someone recently, blogging is like having a baby and then waking up pregnant the next morning!

      Delete