Monday, June 24, 2024

Moving on with Digital Photography

 

My all-time favorite wedding photo. The priest grabbed the flowers and waved them around while the couple kissed. Canon 5D, 70-200 f4L lens.

As I wrote in my previous post, I was a little slow getting on board with digital photography. But when I saw that the six-megapixel Canon 10D could make a 16x20-inch print indistinguishable from one made from a  2-1/4 x 2-3/4-inch medium format film negative, I knew that digital was here to stay.

The 10D, though a ground-breaker for me, was not a fully refined product. The auto-focus was slow, and sometimes not quite accurate. And the files were noisy at higher ISOs, although I did shoot and deliver some prints made at 1600. It wasn't long until I moved up a step to the 20D.

The 20D, although still using an APS-C, or half-frame sensor, was a much better camera. It had an eight megapixel sensor, rather than six, and the auto-focus was much quicker and more accurate. I owned four or five of them, all told. Even after I acquired a full-frame, 12-megapixel 5D in 2006 I used a 20D alongside it for several years. 

I stopped booking weddings in 2008 and only worked as a second-shooter from that point on. I was getting more architectural assignments by that time, and the 5D handled them with ease.

Beth. May, 2003. One of my last film weddings.

 In 2010, after lugging the 5D and several lenses around Israel and Jordan, I became very interested in the new m4/3s cameras that blogger and master commercial photographer Kirk Tuck was touting and bought a tiny Olympus E-PL1. That was soon followed by a pair of Oly E-M5s, very capable 16 megapixel cameras which made the majority of photographs in my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia.

In 2014 I upgraded the 5D to a 6D, and in 2018 made the final switch, selling my Canon and Olympus equipment and buying Fuji X-series cameras and lenses. They are great and I am happy. No more switching. 

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $4.50 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2024 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography     digital photography     film photography     wedding photography   Canon EOS 20D camera      Canon EOS 5D camera      Canon EOS 6D camera     Olympus E-PL1 camera     Olympus E-M5 camera     Fuji X-series cameras     Kirk Tuck

No comments:

Post a Comment