Monday, August 19, 2024

Bye-Bye Big Guy

 The Fujifilm X-H1 camera with vertical grip.

The Fuji X-H1 isn't a big camera, as cameras go. It's smaller and lighter than the Canon 5D and 6D that preceded it in my kit, but it's the largest and heaviest of the Fujis. I was still photographing weddings when I got the X-H1, and it solved a couple of problems for me.

After the departure of the Canons, and before the arrival of the X-H1, I had been using a Fuji X-T20.  Although a very capable camera, the T20 is tiny and did not balance well with my big Canon EX 580II flash, nor with my Fujicron 55-200mm lens. The X-H1, with its larger size and extended grip solved both problems.

I also used the X-H1 extensively in 2021 and '22 to make new photos for the second edition of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia. It proved itself completely reliable and capable.

However, I'm no longer photographing weddings (not for money, anyway), and I'm not currently working on a book. I no longer need the X-H1's special capabilities. And recently, I've found its weight increasingly burdensome. More and more, when I go out the door I'm picking up the X-T20 or the X-Pro1 as my carry camera. So it's time to move the X-H1 along to a new home.

I've always preferred small and light cameras, as witness my 13 years with the Olympus OM film camera system. So what I'd like to get is a clean, used-but-not-abused Fuji X-T3. It's a little bigger than the X-T20, but not by much. I've been checking the Buy and Sell listings frequently at https://www.fredmiranda.com/, but haven't found one for sale yet. I may have to settle for an X-T30 or another X-T20.

Fred Miranda is also the place where I'll list the X-H1 for sale.

Why an X-T3, you ask? Why not an X-T5, the latest model? Two reasons: 1. The X-T5 has a 40mp (megapixel) sensor. Nothing I do requires that many megapixels cluttering up my computer. I'm just fine with the 24mp sensor in my X-T20, and many expert photographers agree that 24mp is the "sweet spot" for digital sensors. The X-T3 has a 26mp sensor, which is still okay. 2. A new (or even used) X-T5 is much more expensive than a used X-T3.

So it's bye-bye to the big guy.

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

If you would like to have a print of one of my photographs, check out my online gallery at https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  If you don't find what you want there, let me know and I'll arrange to include it in the gallery.

Photography and text copyright 2024 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography    digital photography      Fuji X-T20 camera     Fujiinon XF 16-80mm lens   Fujinon XC 16-50mm lens     Fuji X-H1 camera     Fuji X-T3 camera

No comments:

Post a Comment