Friday, August 16, 2024

Ramblin' 'round East Tennessee

Twin silos at Callaway Farm dairy barn. U.S. 11, Louden County, Tennessee.

On Tuesday I made my first serious effort to begin rambling the backroads of East Tennessee. I had been delayed in doing this, first by the truck -- the cost of diesel fuel made it too expensive to ramble around in. I could have taken the car, but I didn't want to leave Louise without transportation (think shopping). Now, however, the truck is gone and we have two cars.

Second, Louise has had a string of health issues since mid-March and I didn't want to leave her alone. But finally, things seemed to be stabilized, so I took a day out.

Unfortunately, it was kinda a bust. I drove more than 60 miles on U.S. Highways 11 and 70, both two-lane roads, and all I found was this old dairy barn. It was interesting because its twin silos are very reminiscent of some old rural churches I've seen.

Knoxville is a very spread-out town, and you pretty much have to go 20 miles in any direction to find anything that looks like country. Everything touched by Knoxville is either industrialized, commercialized, or prettyfied. 

But I'll keep trying, and hope that I can find some interesting things to photograph without having to drive 200 miles a day. I sometimes drove 450-500 miles a day and photographed six to ten sites while working on the Rock City Barns book. But I was younger then.

Shed with Pennsylvania Dutch (?) hex sign.

Here's a shed I found a year or so ago near my son's home in Anderson County (just over the line from Knox County). Is it actually a hex sign? I have no idea.

About the equipment: The silos were photographed with a Fuji X-T20 camera and the Fujinon XF 16-80mm lens. For the shed, I used the same camera, but with the Fujinon XC 16-50mm lens.

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

If you would like to have a print of one of my photographs, check out my online gallery at https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  If you don't find what you want there, let me know and I'll arrange to include it in the gallery.

Photography and text copyright 2024 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography    old barns   East Tennessee     digital photography      Fuji X-T20 camera     Fujiinon XF 16-80mm lens   Fujinon XC 16-50mm lens

No comments:

Post a Comment