Wednesday, August 14, 2024

More Found On Road Dead

 

1954 (I think) Pontiac. Georgia Highway 192, Stillmore, Emanuel County.

Although photographer Dennis Mook and I have been emailing and commenting on each other's blog posts for years, I had never met him in person until he came to Knoxville last week for the wedding of Dave Hileman, another friend and photo-blogger.

Dennis and I have similar ways of looking at the world, photographically. We both love to photograph the old, the abandoned, the passing away of the American rural landscape. Quite often, he posts a picture that makes me think, "I wish I had made that shot!"

A few days ago, Dennis sent me an email about a very successful YouTube photographer named Keith Dobson. When I went to his site, the first thing I saw was his Georgia Road Trip, featuring, up front, the same old Pontiac that I had photographed in a little wide spot in the road called Stillmore, Georgia in 2021, while I was working on the second edition of Backroads and Byways of Georgia.

Apparently, Dobson makes substantial money selling large, black and white prints of his scenes of abandonment. I wish I knew how to do that. Marketing has always been my Achilles heel throughout my career. Probably why I'm not rich and famous.

Anyway, here are some of my old car pictures for you to enjoy. Maybe someday they will appear in a book to be titled Found On Road Dead. ((But don't hold your breath. I am doing my best to live up to my son Rob's admonishment: "Don't die with all your projects completed!")

Early 1950s Nash Ambassador. Old U.S. Highway 27, Trion, Chattooga County, Georgia.


Late 1930s Hudson Terraplane. Indiana Highway 158. Silverville, Lawrence County. 

 

Cudzu Nissan. Three-Notch Road, Catoosa County, Georgia.

Dennis Mook blogs at https://www.thewanderinglensman.com/

Dave Hileman blogs at http://www.twolanetouring.com/ 

Check out their blogs. They are both great guys and fellow believers in Jesus Christ. (Dave is currently on his honeymoon and won't be blogging again until August 19.)

About the equipment: The Pontiac and the Nash were photographed with a Fuji X-Pro1 and the Fujicron 27mm f2.8 lens. For the Hudson Terraplane, I used an Olympus E-M5 and the Panasonic 14-140mm lens, and the Cudzu Nissan was photographed with a Canon EOS 10D and EF 50mm lens.

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

If you would like to have a print of one of my photographs, check out my online gallery at https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  If you don't find what you want there, let me know and I'll arrange to include it in the gallery.

Photography and text copyright 2024 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography    old cars   Georgia   Canon EOS 10D camera      Canon EF 50mm lens   digital photography      Fuji X=Pro1     Fujiinon EF 27mm lens   Olympus E-M5 camera     Panasonic 14-140mm lens     Nash Ambassador     Hudson Terraplane

1 comment:

  1. Dave, thank you for the kind words. Just don’t look at me, think to yourself, “He’s old, I better take a photo of him!” Lol. About your old cars, we had a 1954 or ‘56 Nash when I was a kid and the first stick shift I ever drove was a 1936 Hudson with a ‘long’ straight-8 engine! One interesting thing about the Nash was the front seats folded all the way back and made a sort of a bed. A couple of friends and I used to ‘sleep out’ in the car in the driveway. Small world. Again, thank you, my friend. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete