Friday, August 9, 2024

Photographing a Wedding for Fun

Dave slips the ring on Jill's finger.

Who photographs weddings at age 87? 

Well, I do. But only when the happy couple are friends. There was no pressure on me, because there was another photographer present who was being paid to give the event complete coverage. For me, there was the nostalgic enjoyment of doing something I've done hundreds of times in my life, and the pleasure of giving an unique gift to my friends.

Even though weddings were never the primary thrust of my business, I've done several hundred of them in my career. When someone asked me to photograph her wedding, I never said no. Participating in a joyful occasion, surrounded by happy people -- what's not to like? So I kept at it. The last one was when I was 83.

Do I miss it? Sure. Sometimes. I don't miss the hard work of carrying heavy equipment around, or scrambling to be in two places at the same time. Most of all, I don't miss the post-processing -- editing and polishing the files, of which there can be several hundred.

Ashley and Bowen, Valdosta, Georgia.

 I did my first wedding in 1972, using a Rolleicord twin-lens reflex camera and two rolls of 12-exposure film. In the late 1970s I began using 35mm cameras and stuck with them until switching to digital photography in 2003. Wedding photography was an interesting and enjoyable part of my career. In fact, if I could, I'd like to start at the beginning and live my life as a photographer all over again. But God doesn't give us that option.

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2024 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography     wedding photography   Rolleicord film camera      twin-lens reflex camera   digital photography      Rolleicord twin-lens reflex camera   Film photography

No comments:

Post a Comment