Wednesday, October 16, 2024

So, What Else Is New?

The new guy. Fuji X-T3.

 This is new. Well, new to me, anyway. 

It's a Fujifilm X-T3, used but in excellent condition. 

I wrote a few weeks ago that I planned to sell my Fuji X-H1. It's a fine camera, but a little larger and heavier than I want at this time. I originally got it to use for wedding photography, where the extra size and weight were actually an advantage, helping the camera balance better with a long lens or with a flash unit mounted on top. The X-H1, with its larger size and extended grip solved both problems. But I'm not doing weddings any more, so it's time for the X-H1 to go.

I found the X-T3 on the Fred Miranda site (fredmiranda.com), the premier online site for individuals buying and selling photo equipment and computer gear to each other. The site has been around for a long time -- at least as long as I've been doing digital photography, and I have bought and sold many cameras and lenses there with no problems. 

The X-T3 and the X-H1, side by side. Notice the difference in size.

As you can see, the X-T3 is smaller than the X-H1, but not by a lot, and weighs less (which you can't see, but the X-H1 actually weighs about 25% more.) That's enough difference to make a difference to me. I've always preferred smaller and lighter cameras.

My first professional-level camera was an original Nikon F, which I acquired in 1969, courtesy of a $300 job bonus. I began my own business in 1978 with a pair of Nikkormats; good cameras, but large, heavy, and loud, and soon got a Nikon F2, which I hated. But I had my eye on the small, light, and quiet Olympus OM system, and as soon as I could afford it, I made the change. I loved my Olympus cameras and lenses and used them happily for thirteen years, until aging eyes necessitated a change to autofocus.

Now I have to make some photos of the X-H1 and list it on fredmiranda.com. If you're interested in it, let me know. It's a great camera. And the price is reasonable.

In other news. . .frost is predicted for Wednesday and Thursday. Time to take out the X-T3 and look for some good east Tennessee fall color.

The photos of the cameras were made with a Fuji X-T20 and the Fujinon XF 16-80mm lens.

Check out my online gallery at https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Photography and text copyright 2024 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography    digital photography   Fuji X-T3 digital camera     Fuji X-H1 digital camera     Fujinon XF 16-80mm lens     Fuji X-T20 digital camera     Olympus OM film cameras

2 comments:

  1. Dave, congratulations on the new camera. I hope the smaller size and lighter weight will suit you better than the X-H1. I’m interested to hear how much you’ll like the dials and knobs as compared to the ‘modern’ SLR type of controls on the X-H1. My X-T5, which is a tad smaller than the X-T3, if my memory serves me well, is still my all time favorite digital camera. I hope you make many wonderful images with it. Of course, you know that if you use an ‘old-style’ camera (engineered like a film camera) you can only make ‘old-style’ photos! Lol. But those are exactly the kind that you and I love to make! Cheers, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you much, Dennis. I'm looking forward to the leaves turning. I have some thoughts about ramblin' around northeast Tennessee to places I haven't yet discovered. Also, I think I'll take along my OM2n. I have some film I want to shoot up before I leave this mortal realm.

    ReplyDelete