Monday, October 14, 2024

This Is New

After evening chapel at the Church of God hospital, Abak, Ibom, Nigeria.

Asking the question "What's New" in my previous post led me to ask myself another question: what is photography?

I love to talk and write about the art of photography, the philosophy of photography, and photographic equipment. Those are great subjects, and fun to talk and write about. But they don't answer the basic question: what is photography?

The answer I came up with is that for me, photography is making and showing photographs. That's all. The things I mentioned above are the trappings of photography, but, enjoyable as they may be, they are not the thing itself. Making and showing photographs. That's it. That's all.

But, you say, "Do I have to show my photographs?" I'm sure some may disagree with this, but yes, I think you do. Photographs are communication. They are meant to be shared, and if you don't share them the process is incomplete and they risk becoming only artistic onanism. Sorry.

So, I think I've answered my own question about the value of what I do, as posed in the previous post. I make and show my photographs. And I also write about them. That's what I do.

If my definition doesn't work for you, no problem. Find one of your own. My photography and writing may not be world class, but that's okay. I make photographs and show them, and for me, that's what photography is all about. 

My special thanks to those who wrote encouraging comments in response to  my last post.

Photo: Olympus OM2n, 100-300mm Tokina lens, Fujichrome 100 film.

Check out my online gallery at https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Photography and text copyright 2024 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:   photography    travel     film photography   Olympus OM2n film camera     Tokina 100-300mm lens    Africa     Nigeria    Church of God

1 comment:

  1. Dave, great post! It's good to read your view.
    I enjoy making photos, even on film occasionally. My only showing so far, besides family portaits, is a few prints my wife framed for the guest bath. 😃

    ReplyDelete