Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Another Rock City Barn in Morning Light

Morning light on a farm scene near Kingston, Tennessee.

As I wrote in the previous post, I visited more than 500 sites in 15 states looking for Rock City barns. About 250 sites still had barns, or the remains thereof in some sort of recognizable condition.

Although most of Rock City’s barn painting program had been shut down in the mid-1960s, they were still keeping the signs painted on about 80 barns in the 1990s. This barn, located just south of Kingston, Tennessee, on Highway 58 had been repainted fairly recently.

I was working with one of the early Canon EOS film cameras and Fujichrome 100, a film with a naturally warm quality. However, my goal, always, is to show not only what a scene looked like, but even more, what it felt like. To accomplish that I often used filters, which are colored pieces of glass that mount on the front of the lens. Depending on the effect I wanted, I could use a cooling filter to add more blue to the scene, or a warming filter, to add more yellow/orange. I almost always used a warming filter in varying strengths according to what I felt the scene required. To be sure I got the effect I wanted I often photographed the same scene several times with different degrees of filtration.

This worked very well for me as long as I was photographing with film. In digital photography the filter effects can be added after the fact, but I've never been able to make it work to my satisfaction and I feel my photography is the poorer for the loss. Maybe I should work on it more.

Photograph and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

My most recent book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia, is a 304-page soft-cover with more than 200 color photographs. Published by Countryman Press, it is priced at $22.95. Signed and inscribed copies are available directly from me at (423) 240-2324 or djphoto@vol.com.

 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely light Dave!
    I grew up shooting film and that was all I used until Christmas 2012 when I received a Nikon D7000 for a gift. I only shot color or black and white negative film though, never any transparency film

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the reasons I prefer slide film is that whatever enhancements I make with filters stay there. With color negative film, whoever makes the prints will usually try to "correct" the colors. Exactly what I don't want.

    ReplyDelete