Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Short's Mill in a Frame

My favorite view of Short's Mill

In my previous post I showed a square photograph of the old Short's Mill near Clarkesville, Georgia. While I like the strength and directness of that view, I wrote that it wasn't my favorite. The one above is my favorite.

Both photos were made on October 11, 2010. A lifelong friend had asked me to photograph his son's wedding at a venue in Dahlonega. After the ceremony and reception, he put me up in a hotel there and I got the best night's sleep I had had in a long time. I wish I knew what kind of mattress it was!

Anyway, after sleeping until about 10 a.m. and eating what is known as a hearty breakfast, I went exploring. Short's Mill is located on Old Georgia Highway 197, about four miles south of Clarkesville. I photographed it on film with my Minolta Autocord twin-lens reflex, and also with my digital Canon 5D first version, often called the Classic. This picture was made with the Canon.

What I like about this view is the way the leaves and the top of the waterfall form a frame, drawing your eye to the mill. I wrote more extensively about framing here and here if you would like to read more about it.

Photograph and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

My most recent book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia, is a 304-page soft-cover with more than 200 color photographs. Published by Countryman Press, it is priced at $22.95. Signed and inscribed copies are available directly from me at (423) 240-2324 or djphoto@vol.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment