Monday, June 20, 2022

White Trash

Abandoned. U.S, 27, Rhea County,Tennessee.
 

I've mentioned before, many times, actually, that I'm drawn to old and abandoned things -- old houses, old barns, and also old cars and trucks.

I first began old vehicles in the 1970s, as I made frequent Sunday afternoon backroads jaunts around southeast Tennessee and northwest Georgia. Later, as I was traveling and photographing old barns for the Rock City Barns book, I kept finding old and apparently abandoned cars and trucks. So I photographed them too.

By now, I have enough for a book. I even have a title for it: Found on Road Dead: an Anthology of Abandoned Automobiles. Maybe someday I'll get around to publishing it. So many things I want to do, so little time! Meanwhile, the many things I want to do keep me pushing ahead.

Recently, I told my son Rob that I was afraid I would not live long enough to finish all my projects. He gave me some of the wisest advice I've ever heard: "Never die with all your projects finished!"

The photo above is one of my favorites. No doubt some old person had died or been taken to the nursing home, leaving their home and car to rot and rust away. I call the picture "White Trash," although I don't mean that as a reflectiion on the people; just that through whatever circumstances, their possessions had been left to crumble away into trash.

Photograph and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

My book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia, is now out of print, although copies are apparently still available from Amazon, and possibly other sources. The second edition is now in the editing stage and is scheduled to be published on December 6th.

1 comment: