Monday, June 13, 2022

Another View of Short's Mill

                                                  Short's Mill near Clarkesville, Georgia


I don't imagine anyone could read my blog for very long without catching on that I'm a lover of old things in general, and old barns and old mills in particular. In fact, I define myself as a photographer as a visual historian of an earlier America and a recorder of the interface between man and nature; a keeper of vanishing ways of life.

Short's Mill, a few miles south of Clarkesville, was probably built around 1880, however some sources say it could have been built as early as the mid-1800s. Although the mill ceased operation in 1970, it appears to be mostly intact more than 50 years later. The sluiceway which carried water to the top of the overshot wheel is long gone, but the wheel itself is still in place and looks as if it could once again begin turning the millstones with a few moments notice.

This photo of the mill is not the one I usually show, but I like it very much. Made with my Minolta Autocord twin-lens reflex, the square composition seems to me to be very strong. The film was Fuji's 100-speed Astia transparency film, and I think its soft colors suit this scene very well.

The film was scanned on my old Epson Perfection 4990 scanner, which still does a very good job.

Photograph and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

My most recent book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia, is a 304-page soft-cover with more than 200 color photographs. Published by Countryman Press, it is priced at $22.95. Signed and inscribed copies are available directly from me at (423) 240-2324 or djphoto@vol.com.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment