Wednesday, June 29, 2022

More Black and White Vs. Color

Scarboro Baptist Church in Jenkins County, Georgia in living color.

                        And here it is in a black and white conversion from the color file.

When the editor at Countryman Press asked me to do a second edition of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia, they also asked me to create an additional tour, making a total of 16 in the book. I chose to make this a tour of backroads and small towns roughly along and just north of Interstate 16 in southeast Georgia.

After doing all the travel and photography for the tour, at considerable expense, the powers that be decided it would be too expensive to enlarge the book that much, so I was left with a bunch of unused photos and research material. I should write it up and submit it as an article to Georgia Backroads Magazine and recover at least some of my cost.

Anyway, as I was mapping out the tour I found this beautiful little church in Jenkins County (no relation!) and thought it would make a good example for this post on color versus black and white. Which do you like?

Just to give you something more to look out, here is a color photo of the Gordon-Lee mansion in Chickamauga, Georgia, and a black and white photo converted from the color file.

 

The photo of the Scarboro Baptist Church was made with a Fuji X-H1 camera and the Gordon Lee mansion with a Fuji X-T20, both digital. The lens for both was the Fujinon 16-50mm f3.5-5.6. Just a "kit" lens, but plenty sharp.

For myself, I prefer the color version of both photographs, although I think the Scarboro church photo is almost too picture-perfect. Your mileage may vary.

Photograph and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins. "White Dress" copyright Judy and Tony King Foundation, 2022.)  

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

My book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia, is now out of print, although copies are apparently still available from Amazon, and possibly other sources. The second edition is now in the editing stage and is scheduled to be published on December 6th.

2 comments:

  1. I like the color version of the Gordon-Lee mansion because of the wonderful splash of autumn foliage in the upper foreground. If you revisited it on a gloomy or foggy day, traditional b&w film would be very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, K-guy. This wasn't actually a fair comparison, as all I did was desaturate the color file in Photoshop. If I had set out to make a good black and white, I would have shot it on film with an orange filter, or as a black & white jpeg with an orange or yellow filter setting in a digital camera to make the clouds pop out of a darker sky. I should do that for another post.

    ReplyDelete