Friday, June 10, 2022

Hiding in the Shadows

Can you spot the horse? Click on the photo to enlarge.

There's a horse hidden in this picture. Can you find him?

The photograph was made on U.S. Highway 27 just south of Winfield, Tennessee, near the Kentucky line, on October 25, 1994. I was on my first trip to find and photograph Rock City barns.

My camera was the ahead-of-its-time Canon EOS 10-S, and the lens was the Canon EF 70-210mm f4; an okay lens, but not the sharpest in Canon's arsenal. When I had the opportunity I upgraded to the Canon 80-200 f2.8L, a lens so legendary for sharpness that it was nicknamed "the Magic Drainpipe.

As usual, the film was Fuji's RDP100 Professional slide film, my all-time favorite, although Kodachrome 64 would have been a close second. I slightly preferred the colors of the Fuji, but it's big advantage was that I could (and did) process it myself, while the Kodachrome had to be sent to a Kodak lab for processing.

This is by no means the sharpest picture I've ever made, but it was sharp enough to make a 20x30-inch print that hung over our fireplace for many years.

Well, enough tech-talk. Have you found the horse? Here he is.


Photograph and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

My most recent book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia, is a 304-page soft-cover with more than 200 color photographs. Published by Countryman Press, it is priced at $22.95. Signed and inscribed copies are available directly from me at (423) 240-2324 or djphoto@vol.com.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment