Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Rock City Barn TN-9

 Rock City Barn TN-9 

This barn is located on Tennessee Highway 58, just south of Kingston. I first photographed it 28 years ago, on October 24th, 1994 while on my first extended trip to photograph Rock City's barns; a trip that took me up U.S. 11, then TN 58, and then on to northern Kentucky on U.S. 27 .

I made the best photograph I could, but something wasn't right that day -- I don't remember if it was the time of day, the direction of the light, or something else. But I knew this scene held promise of a better picture if I could find it, so I made a mental note to come back and try again. I often went back to a barn that I felt had more potential than I was able to capture the first time around if a subsequent trip took me back into the area.

I was not able to get back to this barn before the Rock City Barns book was published, so the picture in the book is not the one you see here. I did get there eventually, though, and everything came together beautifully -- the light, the sky, the cattle in the foreground. And the freshly repainted See Rock City sign. 

I'm not sure exactly when this photo was made, but it was on film, so it was taken before 2003, the year I switched to digital photography. The camera would have been a Canon A2 and the film, as always, was Fujichrome 100D.

Sometime later the owners of the property contacted me and bought a 24 by 36-inch print to hang in their living room.

If you don't have Rock City Barns: A Passing Era, amazon.com still has copies, both new and used.

Photograph and text copyright 2022 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone

My book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia, is now out of print, although copies are apparently still available from Amazon, and possibly other sources. The second edition is now in the editing stage and is scheduled to be released in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment