Monday, October 24, 2022

Variety Is the Spice of Life

 Karma at Sunset Rock, Lookout Mountain

One of the wonderful things about my life as a professional photographer is the great variety of assignments that come my way. Yesterday, a set-up furniture shot for an ad campaign, today an annual report shoot, tomorrow a brochure or an album cover, the day after an audio-visual program. Another day, executive portraits. I've enjoyed it all. Truly, variety has been a spice in my life.

The creative director in charge of design and production of the annual report for Chattanooga's Cornerstone Community Bank (since absorbed by SmartBank) asked me to make some photographs tying into the theme of "stone." Since the Chattanooga area abounds in stone of all sizes, from pebbles to Lookout Mountain, that promised to be an easy and enjoyable assignment. 

For the cover photo I posed my long-time assistant Karma Newland on Sunset Rock, a cliff on the west side of Lookout very popular with rock climbers. The sun had just set, but the afterglow in the western sky provided plenty of soft light. If I had made the photo before the sun disappeared the light would have been too harsh.

The lights in Lookout Valley, more than a thousand feet below, make it appear as though she is on a rocky promontory above an ocean, with a passing ship in the darkening sea.

Photograph and text copyright 2022 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone

My book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia, is now out of print, although copies are apparently still available from Amazon, and possibly other sources. The second edition is now in the editing stage and is scheduled to be released in December.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely photo Dave! it does look like a seaside photo, Is that on Fuji slide film?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Greg. No, that was made with my trusty Canon 5D Classic.

    ReplyDelete