Monday, October 31, 2022

One EMT, Good to Go!

An EMT at the heliport, Emory Medical Center Midtown

 

If you're familiar with downtown Atlanta you can probably tell that this photo was taken at the heliport of top of Emory University Hospital Midtown, originally Crawford W. Long Memorial Hospital. The tall structure in the background is easy to recognize as the Coca-Cola building.     

I think this good-to-go young man may have been an actual EMT, not just some other photogenic employee of the medical center standing in for the photo.

I didn't remember just how I had lit this photograph, so I enlarged it in Photoshop for a closer look. The main light, of course, was the sun. Looking at the square catchlights in his eyes at high magnification told me that I had used an electronic flash unit in a square softbox to fill the shadows.

By the way, the most important piece of equipment for this week-long assignment at Emory Medical Center was not my camera. It was my 30x40-inch, four-wheeled, rubber-tired cart! Since the job required several cases of lighting equipment, a camera case, a bag of light stands, and a tripod, and since I worked without an assistant to help me move things around the very large hospital, it would have been a nightmare without the cart. Just one more important tool in the life of a commercial photographer that few would even think of. 

Some people appear to think of a photographer as someone flitting around like a butterfly snapping pictures hither and yon, but there's far more to the practice of commercial photography than people imagine.

Blog note: Very soon I will be posting a link to a web site where many of my pictures will be available for order at very reasonable prices for yourself or for gifts. Watch this space.

Photograph and text copyright 2022 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone

No comments:

Post a Comment