Friday, March 17, 2023

An Advertising Photograph with Amateur Models

 Two Women

This photograph of two women, presumably a young woman and her grandmother, is one of my favorite photos from the extensive advertising and promotional campaign I photographed for the launching of Women's East Pavilion, a new women's hospital in Chattanooga.

The women are not actually related to each other, nor are they professional models. My ability to find real people and direct them to get professional results was a key factor in many of the advertising assignments I received, because our clients often did not have the budget for professional models.

The campaign included a brochure, mailing pieces, and large prints that hung on the walls at the hospital's opening and for years afterward. The Creative Director and I both won "Addy" awards from the Chattanooga Advertising Federation for our work.

The camera was my faithful, medium-format Mamiya RB-67 with the 127mm Mamiya-Sekor lens -- my studio workhorse. The film, as always, was Fujichrome 100 in 120 size. The primary light was a studio electronic flash in a 30x40-inch softbox on my right, plus a weaker light on the gray, seamless paper background to outline their shapes. The highlights and shadows bring out the warmth and richness of their features, while a direct, straight-on flash would make everything look flat and lifeless.

The years when I had a studio in downtown Chattanooga were often hectic, but always enjoyable. I still miss my studio sometimes, but life moves on.

If you like my photographs, you can see more of them in my online gallery at https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and, who knows? You might find something you want to keep.

The second edition of my book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia will be released in June, 2023. 

Photograph and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment