Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Posting and Reposting

 

 Starr's Mill, Senoia, Georgia

Olympus E-PL1 camera, Zuiko 14-42 f3.5-5.6 lens

(Click to enlarge)

Blog Note: As you are probably aware if you follow this blog, I 've been reposting some articles from earlier days. There are two reasons for this: the first is that I have been extremely busy moving into and getting settled in our new home, as well as getting our RV ready to sell. I am totally mystified that we can't seem to fit the contents of a 325-square-foot RV into a 1700-square-foot condo!

The second reason is that many of you have discovered this blog relatively recently and have never read the earlier posts, some of which, I tell myself, are worth reading. Or even reading again.

Once we are well-settled into our new home I will go back to my practice of posting new material (at least mostly). Thanks for your patience, and If you haven't previously read some of the repeat posts, I hope you will enjoy them. This one is from February, 2021.

 

One of the most beautiful, well-preserved, and visible of Georgia’s many old mills is Starr’s Mill on Whitewater Creek, about eight miles south of Fayetteville on GA Highway 85. It's also one of my very favorites.

The first mill at this location was built of logs by Hananiah Gilcoat sometime before 1825, but the name “Starr’s Mill” came from Hilliard Starr, who owned the property from 1866 to 1879. The present building was erected in 1907 and was in operation until 1959.

Like many Georgia mills, Starr’s Mill was powered by an underwater turbine rather than a visible waterwheel to grind corn and operate a sawmill.  There was also a cotton gin on the property, and in its later years, even a dynamo that produced electricity for the nearby town of Senoia. 

Just for fun, I photographed Starr's Mill with a Canon 5D Classic, an Olympus E-PL1, and a Yashica twin-lens reflex loaded with Fujichrome Provia film. The Olympus and the Canon both have12-megapixel sensors, although the Canon's sensor is much larger, and the Yashica, of course, is medium format. This time, at least, the Olympus won.

 

If you like my photographs, you can see more of them in my online gallery at https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and, who knows? You might find something you want to keep.

The second edition of my book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia will be released in June, 2023. 

Photograph and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

2 comments:

  1. Did a shoot out at Starr's Mill back in the Nineties when I was living in Fayetteville, GA. Made some interesting backgrounds for the young lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely place. One of my two favorite mills in Georgia.

      Delete