Monday, March 13, 2023

Photographing Education

 Dissecting Piglet: Science class at Tennessee Temple University

Through the years of my career in professional photography, I found one type of assignment particularly enjoyable -- photographing in schools and colleges. In Chattanooga I photographed for Tennessee Temple University, Temple Elementary School, Southern University, the McCallie School, and several schools for the Public Education Foundation. For Bryan College in Dayton, Lee in Cleveland, Memphis State, David Lipscomb in Nashville, and many others.

In each case I sought to document the life, activities and spirit of the school. As a teacher myself for four years (I tell people I'm a retired teacher), I loved  being in the classroom with the students, but didn't love lesson plans and grading papers enough to continue in that profession. As a photographer I could enjoy being with the students and faculty members while doing the work I loved most.

I was always given free rein to move about each school, looking for and photographing things I found interesting and that would present the school in the best light -- because the purpose of my picture-making was always to promote the school and its mission.

It was fun, and I miss it.

If you like my photographs, you can see more of them in my online gallery at https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and, who knows? You might find something you want to keep.

The second edition of my book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia will be released in June, 2023. 

Photograph and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment