Wednesday, March 15, 2023

The Alabama Snow Barn

Rock City Barn AL-11:  U.S. 11 in DeKalb County, five miles north of Hammondsville.

 

It's been a while since I've posted a Rock City barn picture. This one has always been one of my favorites. I think of it as "the Alabama Snow Barn."

One morning in the winter of 1995 I work up to find a beautiful, sunny day with a few inches of snow on the ground that had fallen overnight. I knew it wouldn't be long before it melted, so I hopped in my old Chevy Blazer and drove up and over Lookout Mountain to U.S. Highway 11 in the northeast corner of Alabama.

Over the years this barn has been painted with two different messages. If you click on the photo you can see a larger version that should enable you to read them both. The clearer one says "Bring Your Camera to ROCK CITY. It's a Photographer's Paradise." The other message is harder to read, but I think it says "See ROCK CITY Today." See what you think.

The camera was a Canon EOS-A2 fitted with a Canon EF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 EF lens. The film, as usual, was Fujichrome 100D slide film.

If you like my photographs, you can see more of them in my online gallery at https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and, who knows? You might find something you want to keep.

The second edition of my book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia will be released in June, 2023. 

Photograph and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment