Monday, November 27, 2023

A House in Plains

                                   Rosalind Carter's childhood home, Plains, Georgia.

Rosalyn Smith Carter passed away a few days ago. This is the house in Plains where she grew up. Not exactly the high-rent district. She and Jimmy attended Plains High School together.

I never met either of the Carters, but I’m sure she was a nice lady. I respect her husband’s work with Habitat for Humanity. That set a good example for all of us. I am no fan of Jimmy's politics, but Mrs. Carter lived a long life, most of it in Plains, and conducted herself as a person worthy of respect.

When I first became aware of Jimmy Carter back in the early 1970s he was the Lieutenant Governor of Georgia. In those days he was often called “Little Jimmy” Carter, in contrast, I suppose, to his father, James Earl Carter, Sr.

                                                      Plain's lone business block.

You really can’t get much more backroads in Georgia than Plains. Southwest Georgia seems to have miles and miles of nothing much but miles and miles.With one row of business buildings, Plains is the epitome of small, southwest Georgia towns.

(Adapted from my limited-edition book Georgia: A Backroads Portrait.)

Rosalind Carter home: Canon EOS 20D, Canon EF 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 lens. Plains business district: Canon EOS 5D Classic, Canon EF 70-200mm f4L lens.

Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags:    photography     southwest Georgia     Plains     Rosalind Carter     Jimmy Carter     Habitat for Humanity     Canon EOS 20D     Canon EF 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 lens     Canon EOS 5D Classic      Canon EF 70-200mm f4L lens.   

2 comments: