Wednesday, November 29, 2023

My Cameras


My cameras. All Fuji X-system. Left to right, the X-T20 with the XC 16-50mm lens, the X-H1 with the XF 55-200mm lens, and the X-Pro 1 with the XF 27mm lens. Not in the picture, because it's being used to make the picture, is my 60mm f2.4 macro lens. It's on my old Fuji X-T1, which is for sale.

I’ve always preferred small and light cameras. I had a 13-year love affair with the Olympus OM film system that lasted until aging eyes necessitated a change to the Canon autofocus system. I stuck with Canon for 24 years, moving with them into the digital world in 2003 with larger cameras and heavier lenses. 
 
The tipping point for me came in 2010, when I hauled two bodies and four lenses on a trip to Israel and Jordan. Sweating my load on the long walk into Petra, the ancient city carved into rock, I chanced to meet a man who was carrying only an Olympus E-P2 body with a tiny lens. I asked if I could hold his camera. What a revelation!

I had been reading about micro 4/3s, so when I got home, I ordered an Olympus E-PL1, then later, a pair of E-M5s and some lenses. I held onto my Canon kit for weddings, only upgrading my 5D to a 6D. Meanwhile, I read more and more about the Fuji X-series cameras.

In 2017 I made the break complete, selling all my Canon and Olympus m4/3s equipment and buying Fuji X-system bodies and lenses. I was surprised to find that a Fuji X-T20 is actually a little smaller than an Oly E-M5 and did not handle as well for me. I had reached my small-size limit! However, a nifty little black leather half-case from Amazon made it handle just right. I'm happy with my choice, and the wedding photographer I worked with was happy with the files, which she (a Canon 5D4 shooter) described as "pretty."
 
I use the X-T20 most because it's small and light and easy to carry and handle, and the 16-50mm zoom is a good range for most of my photography. It's also very sharp. 

The Fuji X-H1 is larger and heavier, though not as heavy as my old Canons. I like it because it balances well with larger lenses, such as the 55-200, and with on-camera flash units. It also has a grip which can be attached that holds more batteries, which is handy for long-lasting events such as weddings. (Which unfortunately I don't do any more -- did my last one when I was 85.)

The X-Pro 1 is different in ways that I like. Boby Tiingle says "The X-Pro  is all about the shooting experience. It is not a tool meant to get out of the way of working. Instead, the X-Pro is meant to be part of the process of making the photograph. Taking more time and putting more thought into each push of the shutter button." 
 
I don't use the X-Pro as much as the others, but when I do, I enjoy it a lot. 
 
So these are my cameras. To some, I may seem to be under-equipped and my gear outmoded. But I have everything I need to do everything I want to do. Nothing new I could buy could improve on that, and I would rather spend my money on travel to new picture-making opportunities. 
 
(Photo: Fuji X-T1, Fujicron 60mm f2.4 macro lens, Neewer studio flash.)
 
Signed copies of my book Backroads and Byways of Georgia are available. The price is $22.95 plus $3.95 shipping. My PayPal address is djphoto@vol.com (which is also my email). Or you can mail me a check to 8943 Wesley Place, Knoxville, TN 37922. Include your address and tell me how you would like your book inscribed.

Check out the pictures at my online gallery: https://davejenkins.pixels.com/  Looking is free, and you might find something you like.

Photography and text copyright 2023 David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo -- For the glory of God alone.

Tags: photography     cameras    Fuji X-T20    Fuji X-H1     Fuji X-Pro 1   Fuji X-T1     Fujicron XC 16-50mm lens    Fujicron XF 55-200mm lens    Fujicron XF 27mm lens    Fujicron XF 60mm macro lens     Neewer flash    Olympus OM film system    Olympus E-M5   Olympus E-P2    Olympus E-PL1    Canon 5D     Canon 6D

4 comments:

  1. Dave, I believe we have long passed sufficiency in the capabilities of our cameras. Pick a camera produced in the past 5 years, or maybe longer, and you should be able to find one that is adequate for what you would need depending upon which features are most important. I don’t think any of us ‘need’ a new camera but most of us still ‘want’ a new camera. I know I enjoy using and writing about them. I hope you enjoy your Fujifilm cameras as much as I enjoy mine. They are terrific picture taking machines. But I seem to be behind the curve with only two of them! I might have to catch up to you. lol. Dennis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Dennis. I don't do wildlife or birds, so that saves my a lot of money on lenses. However, my youngest brother, Phil, and his wife do that stuff very well indeed, and they have all the (Canon full-frame) equipment.
      Having made very sharp 48-inches wide prints from 16 megapixel Olympus E-M5 files, I'm more than satisfied with the 24mp sensors on my X-T20 and X-H1. I could afford to upgrade my cameras, but what's the point? The OM-5 is calling my name, but I'm turning a deaf ear.
      I keep the X-Pro 1 around because it gives me a somewhat Leica-like experience which I kinda enjoy.

      Delete
  2. Dave, I enjoyed reading about your history with photo gear. If (when?) I give up on the m4/3 format (EP-1/GX1/PEN-F) I'll probably do what you did and embrace Fujifilm cameras and the APS-C format (or maybe a Leica CL). The front grip of the Fuji X-T20 looks wonderful compared to what I deal with, for the sake of compactness.

    FWIW, the thought that raced through my mind after reading this post is I longed for an image of the backside of the three cameras. I'm now really into the comparing and contrasting of thumb grips. (The reason being, I recently quickly upgraded to the PEN-F without ever trying one out in person (Partially to avoid the decision of choosing another make/format). I didn't think I was going to like the haptics of this camera because it does not have a front grip. I was pleasantly surprised with this camera's generous thumb grip, which helps compensate for the lack of a front grip. I have never experienced a better factory stock rear thumb grip. I have attached an aftermarket adhesive tape silicone front grip to improve handling even more.)

    -jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff, I used Nikon and Olympus film cameras for many years without grips and never thought about them or felt any need. I began using Canon EOS cameras in 1993. They were my first cameras with grips.
      When I switched to Fuji in 2017 I had been using a Canon 6D and a pair of Oly EM-5s. My first reaction to the Fuji X-T20 was that it was too small. I fixed that with a $20 leather half case from Amazon, and that is what makes the grip you see. The rear grip is small, but for me, at least, it's quite adequate. I have no experience with later models. You might get some help with this at camerasize.com, which enables you to see a camera from all sides.

      Delete