Friday, April 22, 2022

God Is in the Details

Civil War Re-enactment, Chickamauga National Military Park, about 1977.

\You've probably heard the saying "The devil is in the details." Personally, I don't care to give the devil that much credit, because God certainly is in charge of every detail of life.

Virginia Creeper on wall of Perdue Mill near Clarkesville, Georgia.

Speaking of sayings, there's a saying among artists that "less is more." Very often you can say more visually by showing less. That's the reason I try whenever possible to photograph details as well as wider views. Sometimes a detail shot may tell a story better than a wider view. Ideally, of course, they work together, with wider views and detail photos augmenting and enhancing each other.

Vines on barn wall, U.S. Hwy. 231 near Huntsville, Alabama.

It's easy to get caught up in looking for a wide view to tell the whole story in one shot and forget to look for the telling details, so if you're like me you'll need to remind yourself constantly to look for details. Yet, as I said, details often tell a story better than a wider shot.

When Louise first saw the above photo of vines on a barn wall, her immediate reaction was "I want that one for my wall!" The framed, 20x24 print I made for her hung on our bedroom wall for many years.

Photographs and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

My most recent book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia, is a 304-page soft-cover with more than 200 color photographs. Published by Countryman Press, it is priced at $22.95. Signed and inscribed copies are available directly from me at (423) 240-2324 or djphoto@vol.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment