Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Southern Illinois "Terraced" Hillside

A hillside in southern Illinois, "terraced" by Mother Nature.

 Rock City, the tourist attraction near Chattanooga, Tennessee, advertised itself for many years by having the words SEE ROCK CITY painted on more than 800 barns throughout the southeast and midwest. In 1994 they commissioned me to find and photograph every barn still in existence and create a book of those photos.

From October, 1994 through the spring of 1996 I traveled 35,000 miles in my old Chevy Blazer to fourteen states, going as far north as Michigan and as far west as Texas. Using the records created by the Rock City sign painters, I was able to find more than 500 sites and about 250 Rock City barns still in existence. The resulting coffee-table book, Rock City Barns: A Passing Era, became a best-seller, with more than 29,000 copies sold and is still consider a classic.

As I traveled those miles through the heartland of America with my camera on the seat beside me, I found many interesting things to photograph besides the barns. Unfortunately, I haven't done much with those photos, partly because they were made on film and cannot be shown on digital media until they have been scanned -- a process which can be either slow, cheap, and good or quick, expensive, and good,but unfortunately, not quick, cheap, and good. So I have quite a few interesting photos in my slide pages awaiting the dawning of a digital day.

This particular photograph, however, of a hillside in southern Illinois, caught my eye immediately and was scanned promptly. After which I did nothing with it but leave it in my files until now. I'm posting it at this time because of the interest generated by the photo of a terraced hillside in north Georgia that I posted on April 11th.

Unlike the terracing in that photo, which appears to have been man-made, although to what purpose I can't imagine, the "terracing" in this picture appears to have been created by Mother Nature and erosion.

Photograph and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

 

No comments:

Post a Comment