Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Lookout Mountain Cloudfall

Morning clouds gather over the escarpment of Lookout Mountain.

It was 25 miles from my home in northwest Georgia's McLemore Cove to my studio in downtown Chattanooga. Five days a week and sometimes more I made the drive, with Lookout Mountain on one side, and Pigeon Mountain on the other. Many mornings it would be clear in the Cove, but the top of Lookout would be wrapped in clouds, looking for all the world like a waterfall of clouds flowing down the ring of cliffs around the mountaintop.

The cloudfall was perhaps most visible from a place about five miles north of my home, where a white barn sat at the base of the mountain. The Cove was an interesting and beautiful place to live, and I have had a lifelong love affair with Lookout Mountain.

North Georgia is truly God's country, although, sorry to say, I often drove through it like the devil!

Photograph and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

My most recent book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia, is a 304-page soft-cover with more than 200 color photographs. Published by Countryman Press, it is priced at $22.95. Signed and inscribed copies are available directly from me at (423) 240-2324 or djphoto@vol.com.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment