Friday, April 15, 2022

The Watchers

The Watchers

Louise and I were spending a few days with my sister at her home in the country village of Fayetteville, Indiana. Her grandson, Isaac, wanted to show us his llamas, which he kept in a neighbor's barn across the road.

Having looked at and duly petted and praised the llamas, we came out of the barn and immediately noticed (there's that word again!) the neighbor's three dogs watching something across the road. I don't remember what they were looking at, but I loved their alertness and intensity.

This picture was made in 2004 with a Canon EOS 20D and a Canon EF 24-85 f3.5-4.5 lens. The 20D had an eight megapixel sensor, which doesn't seem like much now, but after the Canon D30 with three megapixels, and the 10D with six, the 20D's eight megapixels seemed generous. I remember Denis Reggie, wedding photographer to the wealthy and powerful, exclaiming "Now I don't even have to turn the camera for verticals! I can just crop a square or vertical out of a horizontal frame!" 

I owned three or four 20Ds at various times. It was an easy camera to use and the autofocus was greatly improved over the Canon 10D with which I began my digital photography career. The files I made with the 20D still hold up well today. In 2006 I bought the original Canon EOS 5D (now often called the "Classic") and used it side-by-side with the 20D until around 2011. I could still make my living with that combo if I needed to.

Photograph and text copyright 2022, David B.Jenkins.

I post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday each week unless life gets in the way.

Soli Gloria Deo

For the glory of God alone

No comments:

Post a Comment